PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
nprenter
Does anyone know who engraved this set or parts of it at the three different printers? Or where the Rev. Goldie's photos which inspired the engravings are? In hope, Nigel
2018-08-19 18:15
jray
I think that there were two printers, not three, i.e. De La Rue and Waterlow. They had their own staff engravers but whether their names were ever made public I cannot say. I have a good contact in the KG6 Collectors Society who may know and I will ask him.
2018-09-14 09:07
jray
My contact says that the Crown Agents collected information on the designs either in the form of photographs or hand drawn sketches or paintings, usually watercolours, on the various, requested designs. These were then circulated to the various printers who they had selected to submit competitive tenders, who in turn then produced a range of art work from which the Crown Agents selected the most appropriate designs. The original photographs or drawings were passed to the printers and then returned to the Crown Agents as part of this procedure. At the end of this process the original material was returned to the Crown Agents and eventually passed back to the colony concerned, as the Crown Agents regarded these items to be the property of their originators.

My contact got this information from Marcus Faux, who worked for the Crown Agents.

He also says that, with regard to the identities of the engravers, their names were not normally published if they were "in house" staff, however, in some cases this work was contracted out to private studios when, occasionally, the engravers' names were published. As a result research is still being undertaken to establish the names of the engravers concerned and this process still continues to this day. As far as the KGVI Solomon Islands definitives are concerned he does not think that the names of the engravers have been identified.
2018-09-18 19:25
icon