PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
lbootman
Having spent a little time looking at SG's listings, I am struggling a little to reconcile some of the stamp types and varieties of the overprints that I have identified with the listings in the catalogue.

Of particular concern; I am 99.9% confident that the stamps listed as F1349c, F1351c F1355d, F1357c, F1360b, F1368c, F1369c, F1370b, F1371b, F1372c and F1374a do not exist. If anyone can help me out with information on those I'd be grateful.

Also of concern to me is that a number of identified types and varieties are not listed at all.

I'm unsure of the overprint types allocated to some of the stamps (i.e. Ia, IIc etc) but I'll have to look closer before commenting more specifically on them.

I also have concerns about some of the prices allocated too, but again I would need to devote more time to the matter before I could start commenting specifically.
2014-02-24 11:57
jray
I can't comment on the ones you suggest do not exist as I have no information. I agree that there are some unlisted varieties, for example the 40c on 31c, type IIIb, printed on the gummed side. Having said that, I think that the catalogue editor (Hugh Jefferies) has done a good job of reorganising the listings so that they are easier to understand.
2014-03-09 16:13
lbootman
There have been some interesting additions in the new catalogue.

I think the $1.10 on $1 is perhaps the standout example of such. This stamp has been known about for some time but has somehow stayed under the radar. It got a mention in Bryan's book back in 2010 - it does not seem possible that it is four years since that book was published, doesn't time fly? Gibbons ascribe a 2009 issue date but it was actually issued in 2006, along with the first overprints, having been printed as a trial. Post Fiji decided that they would restrict use of the overprints to inland mail rates and make up values so the 40c, 80c, 90c and $1.10 values that they had been considering never went into full scale regular production.

It is only recently, in December 2012, when Fiji's domestic postage rate increased to 40c, that a 40c overprint has been released regularly. The original 40c overprint produced in 2006 as a trial before subsequently being released for postal use, used another typeface (or font) and had a visibly different overprint to the current overprints.
2014-03-14 10:56
icon