PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
pbailey
Does anyone have a list of the A.P.O numbers used by the RNZAF in Fiji during World War Two? I am interested because I have a 1944 cover from NZ to RNZAF NZ APO 311 on which someone has pencilled "FIJI". Is this correct?
2021-08-16 18:20
bjones
Hi Peter. I don't often get an opportunity to browse the Forum, but fortunately I spotted your enquiry earlier today.
APO 311 was the address of the NZ squadron based at Nausori Airfiield, just outside Suva.
Outgoing mail would use the N.Z.A.P.O cds (Code A) for flying boat units based at Lauthala Bay, or (Code B) held at the Base PO in Suva for other units. These would use the other APO number I am aware of (NZ APO 381).
Hope this helps.
Bryan Jones.
2021-08-17 15:02
pbailey
Many thanks for your reply,Bryan. Nice to know that it is a genuine Fiji destination after all despite my suspicions that it might not be!
Peter
2021-08-18 09:12
icon