PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
jmulik
I was recently directly to this blog about the Christmas Island locals:

http://globalphilatelic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/christmas-island-local-stamps-1916-1938.html

One of the comments made to the blog is about a biography about Fr. Rougier. The book is written in French, and unfortunately I do not read French. If anyone has information about the Christmas Island local material mentioned in this book, I would be interested in hearing about it and reading an English translation of the passage. Here are details of the Fr. Rougier book:

Paperback
Language: French
ISBN-10: 2906278394
ISBN-13: 978-2906278394
Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.9 x 0.6 inches
Shipping Weight: 13.4 ounces

Dr. Paul boulagnon "Emmanuel rougier, the isles d'Auvergne to the Oceania"
2014-09-28 22:36
jmulik
Recently I had an opportunity to quickly review this Fr. Rougier book. The problem is that the book is written in French, and I do not speak or read French. When I had access to the book, I was been able to take photos of some of the relevant pages of the book that relate to the Christmas Island local stamps. If anyone has an interest in helping translate the information for me, I can send you a .pdf file that contains the relevant, few pages that I took photos of.

James
2014-10-19 01:50
jray
Dear James,

Have you tried putting the French text into Google Translate? It seems to work reasonably well.

Christian Beslu had a short article about Abbot Rougier in Pacifica some years ago. I scanned it for another member and fortunately retained the images, which are attached here. I hope that they are of interest.

John.
2014-10-29 13:34
jmulik
Wow, John! This is great information. Many, many thanks for all of your help.

James
2014-10-30 06:13
icon