PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
jmulik
I have heard that there are two more, rarely seen versions of the Christmas Island locals. This would make 6 total varieties of the locals. The two other versions are overprints/over-valuations on the 2nd printing of the 1st issue. One over-valuation has a manual 10 cents written on the stamp; while the other has a cancelling device's 10 cent mark applied on the stamp. Attached are photos of the manual type which recently sold on eBay.

Speaking with an old stamp collecting friend who used to collect Gilbert and Ellice Islands material, in 30 years of collecting he has seen only three of the manual over-valuations (including the one in the attached photos) and only one of the cancelling device type. All of the overprints/over-valuations have been on covers, like the one in the attached photos. The one example with the cancelling device is owned by an American dealer who, as I understand, will not allow anyone to take a photo or scan of the cover.

I have also heard that there are fakes of the manual overprints out there. Can other readers/collectors shed any light on this issue?

Thank you.
2011-12-25 19:30
bcannon
I have never heard of overprints or re-valuations.
2012-03-21 04:36
rpopper
See this link http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25103 which shows my copy with the same Papeete date stamp of 14-12 25 as the example you show.
2012-04-09 02:40
jmulik
Thank you for sharing a photo of the 1925 cover that you have. I still have not been able to locate a copy of the machine made manuscript variety that I have heard exists. Aside from the cover that I posted a photo of and the cover that you posted a link to, have you seen any other examples of the manuscript revaluations?
2012-08-21 03:16
rpopper
Sorry, but I have no more information about these. You know much more about these than me.
2013-03-06 06:11
jmulik
Thank you for your reply. If you ever want to part with your copy of the cover, please let me know as I may be interested in buying it.
2013-03-11 05:11
icon